Sunday, September 13, 2009

Mike's First Triathalon


Mike did his first triathalon yesterday. Tom Nally was doing the same triathalon so the Nallys were nice enough to let us stay at their house on the Cape Friday night. Mike's family was awesome enough to come support Mike as well. His Mom and sister Jenn and her family came to watch. I know it was a sacrifce. It can't be enjoyable to drive 3 plus hours with 3 young kids to get to the cape at 9 pm, get them up at 5:30 am the next moring, then leave at noon for another long ride home. It was so nice to spend time with them and we're so glad they came!

We got up early Saturday morning and headed to Hyannis for a 7 am start. It had been raining so the bike portion was cancelled. Luckily the rain let up and the weather was surprisingly nice.

The water was pretty warm too - well, as warm as it gets in Massachusetts. It was so warm Jonah and Isaac did a little wadeing and the waves pulled Isaac's pants off. It was a good thing it was warm because Mike's wet suit was supposed to arrive Friday just in time for the race but something happened with the shipping and he didn't have it for the race. The ocean can be pretty cold, especially in September.


Mike was in the 3rd wave (out of 12). There were so many people we didn't even try to see him start.

He surprised us all at how quickly he finished swimming so I only got this picture of him running towards the transition area. (Mike's the one without the wetsuit.) My goal was to get a good picture of him with his swimming cap on, but he was too dang fast. Next time!

Tom was in the 12th wave. The announcer called them the "old and crusties" because they were the 60 plus age group. If they're old and crusty I don't want to know what I am because they're in much better shape than me and I would not have done as well as they did yesterday.

Mike did well. He was 2 mintues over his goal for time and came in 217th out of 600.

Unfortunatly Tom had an injury during the run, but he stilled finished hard.

It was an great Saturday. It was a lot of fun and I look forwad to more triathalons.

1 comment:

Brown Town Mom said...

YAY Mike! Way to go! I hate you cuz you're buff now. :) Maybe I should take up biking......seriously, though-SO happy for you! Ange