Sunday, September 28, 2008

We've Only Just Begun...


I never thought I'd say this but I have had a Carpenter's song stuck in my head for a few months now and the words "we've only just begun" keeps coming up over and over again (probably because I don't know any other words to that song). Alas, from anorexia comes truth (music tidbit: lead singer of the Carpenter's was anorexic). I was asked today if I am getting into my "scholastic grove", to which I replied that if my scholastic grove mimicked a person drowning then I was all there. And so I have started my self served sentence of full-time school, part time work (which really isn’t part time), and not to mention the little baby girl heading our way in just 6 short weeks. I tell myself that I am passed the point of freaking out but have a sudden urge to laugh hysterically (closely reassembling a crazy maniac) at the thought that I will be a dad in that amount of time. I mean really, who governs these things? To be given something so important with so little work or training (on my part) seems like I am stealing or something. I have to do more to buy a car than to create a life…that’s freakin’ scary. Sara is a trooper, which is no surprise there, and is excited and I think a little anxious to finally have this massive watermelon out of her stomach. I notice that she is groaning a lot when she climbs on the bed and waddles up the stairs (all to my amusement of course). She honestly looks great and we will post some pictures soon.
Life at Suffolk is hard to get used to. I am shifting from evening classes to day classes and find myself in a cesspool of ignorant teenagers. Ignorant is defined by the following conversation…”dude, like, I got sooo drunk last night (a laugh that resembles Beavus). It was like, sooo cool man. Do we like have a test today or something?” No lie. So now I am the creepy old guy that feels it my responsibility to educate these poor souls. You know the type, the 58 year old mother at night classes that has to interject at every possible second to spew her life’s knowledge. That’s me. Except I am probably not as delicate and much meaner about forcing my knowledge, kind of like when I talk about music. It doesn’t win me any friends so the days are kind of lonely. The sacrifices I make.
When all is said and done I couldn’t be happier. In all this madness (hence the name of the blog) there is a meaning. Someday I will figure out what that is. But for now I am content in just living it. The great Ferris Bueller once said “Life moves pretty fast, if you don’t stop and look around once and a while, you could miss it”.

No comments: