
So Sara has often talked about the "crack squirrels"(official scientific name is crackeous aditicus) that have run rampant in Philidelphia. She first encountered them as a young student down there and on one of our safari trips to the region we were able to observe these facinating creatures. They not only have no fear of humans whatsoever but prey on the weak and small children. If you plan on bringing food of any kind into the city of Philidelphia bring a shotgun with you. "I got me a hankerin' for some squirrel" (inside joke). So during lunch today I had the not so rare opportunity to meet the crack squirrel's cousin, the crack bird (crackeous arial). So there I am, minding my own business, enjoying the nice day after a bout of rain. I noticed a small bird (picture a brown chicadee) all cute looking inquisitively at me. You know how they cock their head to the side as if they are pondering something. Well I really didnt think anything of it until I looked down again and saw two birds. Now both looking inquisitively at me. You guessed it, before I had time to take the next bite, 5 birds (all cute and cuddly) are staring at me. At this point they are at a safe distance and I can guess they are after my food. What I was not expecting was their little head cocking was some sort of secret language they have. They began to space out, a little at a time and the next thing I know they are seriously in a perfect circle about 5 feet away from me and get this, they all start hopping at the same time toward me. I couldn't help but look around to see if anyone else was getting this and maybe I could confirm that I was not going crazy (or that they could help me). I even tried to make sudden movements to scare them off a little but to no avail (that's the crack working). I seriously was considering getting up and walking away. Then I thought, "that's just what they want." Upon this thought I realized that I had completely lost my mind and that I was having an imaginary fight with crack birds. It then occured to me that it was only the first step before talking to myself in the subway singing "I have no legs" and yelling to everyone "BE AWARE OF THE BIRDS"...
No comments:
Post a Comment