Sunday, December 12, 2010

Hawaiian Style Christmas

We went to Sammy's school Christmas concert and BYUH tree lighting ceremony last Tuesday night.  It was at BYUH and there were tons of people there.  Each grade performed a number.  Some of the students did a skit or dance while the rest of the students sang.  It was really cute and the kids did great.  I loved hearing all the island Christmas songs.  Sammy's class performed "Santa in a Red Canoe."  My favorite was "Pineapple Princess" that the 1st graders did.  It was the cutest little song and dance.  I love the opportunity to be in an area with so much culture. 

After the concert, Santa was available for pictures.  Abby was excited to sit on Santa's lap while we were waiting in line.  It was a different story when we got there...as you can see in the picture.  I guess everyone needs a picture of them screaming on Santa's lap.
This is the tannest Santa I've ever seen and I can bet it's the only Santa picture Abby will take wearing shorts and a tshirt.


The weather here is starting to cool down a little.  It drops down to the 60's at night, but always is back in the 80's by noon.  You'd think a blizzard was coming by the way people dress.  The other day I went with Kandi to pick Sam up from school.  While I was waiting in the car, wearing shorts and a tshirt and blasting the air conditioner, I saw one kid wearing a long sleeve black shirt, long black jeans and sneakers.  It made me hot just looking at him.  Then I saw something even worse - a kid wearing a down coat!  No joke.  When I told Kandi she told me that Sam was the only kid in her class that didn't wear a coat or sweatshirt to school that day.  People cringe when I tell them I from Massachusetts and tell me I must be glad to be in Hawaii when it's so cold back home. I am but they have no idea how cold it can get.

Saturday morning we went to a Christmas parade.  I had never heard of a Christmas parade, but I guess it makes sense when you don't have tons of snow on the ground and temperatures below freezing in December.  We got there a little late so we didn't see the entire parade but it was perfect for the kids and they got to see Santa (this one was pale but thin.)



Dancers from the Polynesian Cultural Center.
 
 


Santa on a boat!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

PERFECT!!!

Enjoy your tropical Christmas~
I'd love to glimpse such a tan Santa!

XO

Kris said...

These are priceless! Thanks for blogging them. It made Rich and I want to fly right out there. We miss you, and see you soon.